Consider the benefits of belonging to an advocacy organization representing the imaging research community with a diverse membership of more than 200 imaging societies, academic departments, industry partners and patient advocacy groups.
The Mission of The Academy for Radiology & Biomedical Imaging Research is to raise the profile of imaging research through education and advocacy. The Academy works to increase resources and opportunities for imaging research, and promote the translation of that research to enhance human health.
Make a Difference by Joining the Academy to Support Imaging & Bioengineering Research Funding
Established in 1995 as a joint effort of many of the existing radiological societies, the Academy was the catalyst for the creation of the National Institute of Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering (NIBIB) at the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and the IWGMI. This association represents the efforts of the scientific community in advancing medical imaging and bioengineering research.
The Academy’s mission is to identify sources of support for imaging and bioengineering research and the use of that research to advance the knowledge base, educational programs, and patient care activities of imaging. Specific aims include:
- increasing government and private support for imaging research
- advocating for the National Institute of Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering (NIBIB) and other Institutes with medical imaging portfolios at the NIH before Congress
- advising the federal government on imaging and bioengineering research priorities
- enhancing training opportunities for imaging investigators
- integrating federal and university research programs
- encouraging investigation of health outcomes of imaging and bioengineering services
- emphasizing the impact of imaging research on patient care
The Academy also serves as the umbrella organization for the Coalition for Imaging and Bioengineering Research (CIBR). CIBR was established to foster collaboration among other important stakeholders in the imaging research community: imaging manufacturers, patient advocacy groups, academic departments and imaging societies. By presenting a unified voice in support of imaging research, CIBR represents the triumvirate of medical research: academia, industry developers, and patient advocates. Join the Academy and participate in our renewed effort to strengthen our advocacy efforts and define areas of interest that can help promote the impact of imaging research. Together, we can help ensure that the Congressional appropriations continue to support in research at the NIBIB and the other agencies that support imaging.
Our federal initiatives and activities include:
- Cancer Moonshot, advocacy to include imaging
- Interagency Working Group for Medical Imaging (IWGMI)
- CMS Open Payment regulation reform
- Precision Medicine Initiative (PMI) now “All of Us”
- The BRAIN Initiative
- Congressional funding of NIH/NIBIB
- The Battelle Report on patent-driven economic growth
- 21st Century Cures
- FDA regulatory modernization to expedite clinical trials
- Spearheading the voice for sustainable funding in the imaging research community
If you have questions email Emily Townley.