Funding Notices, Imaging Workshops & Related Meetings
- Seven More Awesome Technologies Made Possible by Your Tax Dollars https://directorsblog.nih.gov/2018/05/31/seven-awesome-technologies-made-possible-by-your-tax-dollars/
Links & Resources
- NIH Common Fund – https://commonfund.nih.gov/
- NIH Common Fund NIH Director’s Awards (Pioneer Award, New Innovator Award, Transformative Research, Early Independence Award – https://commonfund.nih.gov/highrisk
- NIH definition of early stage, new investigator – https://grants.nih.gov/policy/early-investigators/index.htm
- NIH definition of a clinical trial, new policies on applying for grants with a clinical trial, determining if you study is a clinical trial, and case study examples –https://grants.nih.gov/policy/clinical-trials/definition.htm
- NIBIB Scientific Program Areas and links to program contacts – https://www.nibib.nih.gov/research-funding
- Bioengineering Research Partnerships – This mechanism has been used to support public-private partnerships and uses NIH’s U01 Cooperative Agreement funding mechanism. Information can be found here, https://www.nibib.nih.gov/research-funding/bioengineering-research-partnerships-0.
- NIBIB participates in the Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) and Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) Programs. Information can be found here https://www.nibib.nih.gov/research-funding/small-business-innovation-research-and-small-business-technology-transfer-program-0
- Exploratory/Developmental R21 funding mechanism – information about NIBIB’s R21 mechanism can be found here, https://www.nibib.nih.gov/research-funding/exploratorydevelopmental-grant-program-r21
- Information about NBIB’s Trailblazer R21 for new and early career investigators can be found here https://www.nibib.nih.gov/research-funding/trailblazer-r21-awards
- NIBIB supports a range of mechanisms and not just investigator-initiated research. Information on NIBIB’s grant programs and mechanisms can be found on the Research Funding section of the NIBIB website, click on the tab Grant Programs and Mechanisms, https://www.nibib.nih.gov/research-funding#quicktabs-funding_tabs=2
- Data sharing at NIH – The Clinical Center at NIH recently provided one of the largest publicly available chest x-ray datasets to the research community. Information can be found here https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/nih-clinical-center-provides-one-largest-publicly-available-chest-x-ray-datasets-scientific-community. Another resource for data sharing throughout the government is the Health Data web portal at https://www.healthdata.gov/. Please note, this website includes links to datasets and links to databases that contain lists of various resources. Other resources mentioned during the discussion include:
Understanding Medical Scans
Understanding Medical Scans is an app designed to help patients learn what to expect during a medical scan and how scans can help with both diagnosis and treatment. With question-based navigation, images, and videos, this app makes medical imaging information easily available anywhere. It was designed to be understood by the layperson, can give patients basic information about what they are going experience, and help them ask more informed questions of their technologists.
- Surgery of the Future
Surgery of the Future is an interactive experience that highlights research technologies funded by NIBIB that improve surgical procedures. Move through a virtual operating room to learn about technologies including new imaging tools, robotics, biomaterials, and more.